1. For one, our brains are hardwired differently, so the first rule of thumb is: don’t try to change him. What I mean by that is not giving up all hope that he will take your wardrobe advice or learn to take out the trash without you asking him to, but on a deeper level, men can not change the way they think, communicate or interpret your communication. Therefore, for peaceful relations with a man, learn how to talk to him to get what you want. If you don’t know where to start, there are many books out there to help you understand his brain and how what you say (or how you say it) may be impeding on the results of your goal. Here’s a hint: Effective communication is all in the delivery.
2. Be nice. If a man’s been around long enough, he knows that a bitch at 25 is a shrew at 50. So nix the drama, be complimentary, upbeat and supportive, and you will have that man’s heart for life. Men want the furthest thing from a nagging, nit-picking, unappreciative B-I-T…you get the picture.
3. Prettify yourself. Sorry, ladies. The one thing we can’t argue is that men are visual creatures. Enough evidence supports this fact, so take it as such. For the most part, men appreciate a woman who takes care of her body. What this says to a man is confidence, which equals sexy, which equals his innate drive to constantly want to impress you and also compete to keep himself in shape as well. Men love to compete, so even if it’s with you or for you, it will keep his interest for a long time. This in turn, keeps him on his toes in case other suitors are vying for your attention, and if a man feels like he has healthy competition, his interest in you will be much less likely to wane.
4. Men do marry their mothers…to a certain odd extent. Studies show that if you’re too much “mom” and too little a “stranger” that triggers a biological nerve that warns against procreation with you due to familial similarities. If you’re too much of a stranger and have very little of “mom”, you’ll be too alien to him and therefore no close connection will be made. But if you’re a little like mom and still a little foreign, it’s just the right balance to create a familiar, comfortable and close connection. A lot of this is simply biology and you can’t do too much about this one, but the good news is, if the romantic connection is made, it wouldn’t hurt to understand and take on the positive traits that his mother implemented in his life that made him close to her. Characteristics such as nurturing, caring, compassion, an open ear and a feminine presence are comforting to a man’s psyche.
5. Personality (yes, personality) is the winner for the long haul. Yes, men are visual and appreciate outer beauty, but if you’re a buxom blonde bombshell or a Brazilian brunette babe and have the self-righteous, entitled attitude of a stuck up snob, you’ll be next week’s belt notch and that’s about as far as your expiration date will take you. Respectable men love, love, LOVE a positive, feminine woman, manners, a kind heart who can just relax sometimes, and someone who has something to bring to the table. If you show him trust, admiration and appreciation with whatever he gives or does for you, he will take it another step further on his own and treat you like a princess…without you expecting (or complaining about) it. Men don’t do things just because they have to, they will do it because they want to. Do NOT emasculate men if you want them to treat you like their princess.